The Elizabethan Stage
Coming soon: The Elizabethan Stage explains the important differences between Shakespeare's stage and our own. Knowing these details help you understand a number of the features that you'll run into while reading the plays.
In this course you'll learn:
- A brief history of the English stage.
- Why we have a “box office."
- The number and popularity of theaters that existed in his time.
- The fourth wall that doesn't exist and how that impacts the play.
- Conventions of the stage: soliloquies and asides, scenery that appears in the language instead of on the stage,
- Internal stage directions, visual displays of madness, and more.
- What happened to theater (and Shakespeare's works) when the Puritans took over England.